January 12, 2010

You must make and eat this right now. Then send some to me.

Holy crap. Tara brought to my attention a recipe that was on The Pioneer Woman blog today, and even though I haven't tried it, even though I should never never ever try it, I had to share it with you guys because it looks so frickin good...I had to quell the urge to lick my computer screen. I'll give you $20 if you make this pie for me. $100 if you make it today for me (this excludes you Tara, since you are sleeping over tonight and we will be cooking dinner together. And I don't actually have $100. I will however give you a hug and a kiss if you make this tonight. Then I will probably punch you for making my ass so big. Ha!). Here you go - let it taunt you until you break down and make it. And if you do make it, please please pretty please post a comment here and tell me how delicious it was. Or better yet, lie and tell me how disgustingly icky it was. Thank you!

Prep Time: 25 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes Difficulty: Intermediate Servings: 8
Ingredients
  • Caramel Sauce
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
  • ½ cups Half-and-half
  • Pinch Of Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
  • Crust
  • ¼ cups Egg Whites
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ cups Sugar
  • 1 cup Pecans, Finely Chopped
  • Filling *
  • 2 pints Ice Cream (1 Pint Each Of Different Flavors)
Preparation Instructions
To make the caramel sauce:
Mix butter, brown sugar, half & half, and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until thicker. Add vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Turn off heat and pour sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.
To make the crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat egg whites until frothy. Add sugar and salt and beat on high until stiff. Fold in nuts. Spread mixture all over the bottom and sides of a non-glass pie pan, making sure to adequately coat the sides. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, watching toward the end to make sure crust doesn’t get too brown. Remove from oven when crust is golden brown. Allow crust to cook completely.
When crust is cool, remove ice cream from freezer. Allow to soften. When soft, spread one pint of ice cream (I used Butter Brickle) over the bottom of the crust. Spread the other pint (I used Vanilla Bean) over the first flavor. Cover with foil and freeze until very hard.
To serve, cut slices of pie and serve on individual plates with cold caramel sauce spooned over the top. *Note that the crust will be a bit sticky…but it’s oh, so good!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment