January 4, 2010

Mmmmm mmmmmm good!!! Roasted Tomato Basil Soup!!!

We interrupt your regularly scheduled program to bring you a breaking news story...
With record cold temperatures around the area for the past couple of days, and no warm-up in site, I have officially dubbed this week "The week of the soup". And because my brother loves me and generously donated 4 bags of frozen garden tomatoes to my cause, I kicked off soup week last night with some delicious (and nutritious) Roasted Tomato Basil Soup courtesy of the Barefoot Contessa. This is, by far, the best tomato soup I have ever had. Well, besides the tomato soup at the Scenic Cafe, but that doesn't count because they are paid professionals who have the corner market on deliciousness. Plus, I'm pretty sure they add heavy whipping cream, and like I mentioned in a previous post - the challenge is to make it delicious AND relatively healthy. This is a wonderful way to curb that mid-winter-craving-garden-produce-or-something-fresh dilemma. Here is the recipe taken from the Food Network Website (with my alterations, of course):

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

Ingredients


  • 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half any tomatoes will do...if you don't have garden tomatoes, use whatever looks good at the grocery store
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or less, if you feel fat
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
  • 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed I know this seems like a ton of basil, but just trust me
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 quart chicken stock or water

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper (I also add a couple pinches of sugar...especially if tomatoes are not in season). Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet cut side up and roast for 45 minutes. I add the garlic cloves in with the tomatoes because roasted garlic makes me happy.
In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil (I give the basil a rough chop), thyme, and chicken stock (I also add Pizza and Pasta Magic*). Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade (I use an immersion blender instead). Taste for seasonings. At this point I let it simmer for another 30 minutes or so, because I find that the longer it cooks the better it tastes. I also will add a little chicken bouillon if it needs sodium. I like mine a little sweeter too, so depending on the tomatoes, I might add another couple pinches of sugar. Serve hot or cold. 

I have pictures on my camera at home...I will upload one tonight if I get a chance. Delicious!

*Pizza and Pasta Magic by Chef Paul Prudhomme: It is my favorite spice on the planet. No salt, bit of a kick, plus parm cheese (which makes everything better)! I buy it at Mount Royal Grocery Store, but you can also order it online HERE 
I would recommend trying it as soon as possible. I use it in my soups, pastas, homemade pizza, marinades, and just about anything else I can think of to use it on. It's my secret ingredient. But now it isn't a secret anymore. Enjoy!

1 comment: