January 19, 2010

Did you miss me?

It has been almost a week - I have been neglecting you! What have you been eating all week without my saliva-inducing recipes? What was that, I'm the only one that gets THAT fired up about cooking and eating? And what? Only two people read this blog?? Oh well. I like food, and the alternative is me bitching to you about all of my problems. Ha!

On a related subject - Steve and I made a 20 pound turkey on the grill on Saturday night. 20 lbs. For just the two of us. We used this delicious slow roasting method that we saw in the December issue of Cooking Light, where you blast it in the oven at 500 degrees for 30 minutes (this browns and sears the skin to help keep the juices in and make it look appealing. No one wants to eat pale, sallow, sick looking turkey), and then crank 'er down to 250 and cook it until the meatiest part of the thigh gets to 165. Except we did it on the grill, which was a little harder to control, but it turned out yummy none-the-less. Before we put it on, I took my hands and rubbed a mixture of softened butter, chopped rosemary, garlic, paprika and salt/pepper in between the skin and the breast/thigh meat. You could also use lemon (juice and zest), thyme, oregano, etc...whatever your fancy! Then I made homemade stuffing (like, I even cubed up bread and dried it. Ok, actually, Steve cubed the bread. But I did the rest), and from scratch gravy. It was comforting and satisfying and we have turkey coming out of our asses. I made white chicken chili (but with turkey), we have been eating leftovers like crazy, and we still have a big bag full of turkey meat. AND, I had Steve leave a bunch of meat on the carcass and I threw it in the freezer to make soup with sometime soon (like next year when I finally have the desire to eat anything with turkey in it). I will put the recipe up for the chili in the next couple of days...it is sooooo good. Yum. Yum. YUM!

Other random things:
- Steve is feeling pretty good. His chest cold is still hanging on but he said that he feels better and like he is coming to the end of it. He has his first "surveillance" CT scan on Monday.
- I got a chest freezer. *Insert Evil Cackle Here!* That means that I can cook until my heart is content and never run out of storage space. Lets just say that if we ever get a snow storm of the century, you better hope that you happen to be snowed in at my house. We could survive for decades.
- I am starting a yoga class on Monday. On more tiny baby step in trying to my life back together. Cause, you know - yoga is suppose to be good for the mind and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment