February 8, 2010

Super fast tomato pasta deliciousness

The other night I was home by myself with very limited groceries. I was hungry (surprise!) and craving something fantastic, but didn't want to change out of my sweatpants, so I pulled together a few ingredients that most people have on hand for a delicious and (kinda) nutritious meal*. Check it out (and note that this made 2 generous servings - you could easily double or triple if you have to):

Super Fast Tomato Pasta Deliciousness
  • 1 cup dry white wine (but you could also use chicken broth)
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (you could also use fresh, may take longer to cook though)
  • dried herbs
  • salt, pepper, sugar
  • 2 small shallots or 1/2 a medium onions (optional)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 box of pasta
  • parmesan cheese
 I had shallots leftover from my heart-pounding, head-spinning, feet-sweeping Risotto (who are you calling dramatic???) that I made the other night, but you could easily use regular onion. Or just omit it. But I diced up the shallots and the garlic, sauteed them with the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan until they were very tender. Then I stirred in the wine and let it cook down until it was reduced by half. I added the tomatoes and the herbs (I used basil, oregano and - of course - a couple dashes of Pizza and Pasta Magic...because it was the right thing to do) and let it all cook for about 20 minutes, stirring and tasting occasionally. This is when I also added the salt, pepper and about 1-2 Tablespoons of white sugar. Meanwhile, I cooked my pasta (I used whole wheat Penne but you could use anything) according to the package. When it was all done I tossed the pasta and sauce together (but only what I was going to eat that night - the rest I refrigerated separately so that the pasta doesn't soak up all the sauce), and then gave it a generous sprinkling of parm cheese. Viola! Add a glass of wine and a small salad for a complete meal. Simple, fast and delicious! It was even better the next day!
* you could also add things you had on hand such as mushrooms or artichokes, or you could add meat to make it more hearty. Whatever floats your boat!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment