October 25, 2010

Monkey Bread with Katy

A few months ago, my mom, a few of her sisters, my grandmother, and a few cousins were in Duluth. We took my Aunt Sherry, who was diagnosed with ALS early this year, on a scenic train ride up the north shore.

It was lovely.

Except that they served our wine in plastic glasses. Which was weird.

Despite how beautiful the town is that I live in (and I may be just a little biased), we don't get a lot of family coming to stay.

I wanted them to have a great time in Duluth.

So...I invited everyone over for brunch the following morning!

Have you seen my house?

Its about 800 square feet.

There were 10 of us.

It was tight.

But luckily it was a lovely day outside, and I have a large deck.

Just to make things even more difficult for myself, I also asked Steve and the kids to join us!

Anyway, to make a long story short...

One of the dishes I made was Monkey Bread, from Pastor Ryan on The Pioneer Woman website.

Steve's daughter Katy loved it.

I mean, who wouldn't? It's sticky and sweet and warm and delicious.

It also has 2 sticks of butter in it.

For real.

And she has been bugging me to make it ever since.

But my thighs have been begging me not to.

I finally gave in.

We had fun making it and I think that my thighs have forgiven me.

As long as I promise not to make it again soon.

Here is Katy, quartering the biscuits. Out of a can. Yes, you heard me.

Here she is, assembling the pieces into the pan once they were coated in cinnamon and sugar, so that I could pour over the hot melted butter and brown sugar. Yup.

And this is what the boys did while we slaved away in the kitchen!

Oh yeah baby. I actually ended up throwing it back into the oven for a few more minutes because it wasn't as brown as I wanted it.

But it was so very delicious.

Let the dark side seduce you.

Make this.

Soon.

And love it.

Monkey Bread (feeds 6 - 8 monkeys) adapted from The Pioneer Woman
  • 3 cans of non-flaky buttermilk biscuits (2 if you use the big ones)...or you can make your own
  • 2 sticks of butter (gulp)
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
  • chopped pecans (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, slowly melt butter and brown sugar, stirring occassionally to combine. 

Quarter each biscuit, and toss into a large zip-top bag. When you have quartered all 3 cans and put them into the bag, add the cup of white sugar and cinnamon. Toss to combine (and this will also prevent the biscuits from sticking together).

Sprinkle pecans (if using) into an ungreased pan (you can use a glass pan like I did, or a bundt cake pan). Dump the biscuit chunks into the pan, and pour the butter/sugar mixture over top.

Bake it for 30 - 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes, and then invert it onto a plate or platter. Enjoy!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment