July 27, 2010

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup

Have I kept you in suspense long enough?

Or did you already eat all of your leftover Spicy Shredded Chicken anyway?

I don't blame you if you did...but now you have to make more!

Sorry it took me so long to get you this recipe...part 3 in the delicious series of spicy chicken posts. The problem was (and still is) that I haven't got the pictures for this recipe off of Steve's camera yet.

I finally just decided to post the recipe, and update it with pictures later. Don't get too excited...Steve wasn't there to shoot them for me, so even though I used his fancy camera they probably didn't turn out as good. But don't worry, I am going to bribe him into taking more food pics for me soon.

This recipe is super fast, easy and really delicious. I realize that it is summer and you don't necessarily want to eat soup, but this one was totally worth it. It is one of my new favorites. I didn't have to add any seasonings to it at all, because the chicken, lime and tomatoes are so flavorful. If you substitute something else other than my Spicy Shredded Chicken recipe, I will kill you  you may have to add salt, pepper, or Mexican seasonings (such as chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, etc), as needed. 

I am trying the recipe for Spicy Shredded Chicken again this week, except with pork, and in the crockpot. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup (this recipe is enough for 2 - 3 people, but could easily be doubled)

  • 1/2 pound leftover Spicy Shredded Chicken
  • 1 - 2 cans Rotel tomatoes (I used one and a half...they are 10 oz cans), undrained
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 (7 oz) can of diced green chiles, undrained
  • 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno (I used the kind in a jar)
  • 3 - 4 cups of fat free, low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 large handful of chopped cilantro 
  • Lime wedges, for garnish
  • Tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips, for garnish
  • Sour cream, for garnish
  • Avocado, for garnish
Throw the chicken, tomatoes, beans, lime juice, chiles, broth and cilantro in a large pot or dutch oven, heat over medium high heat until simmering, turn down to low. I only used one lime in the soup, and then served the bowl with individual lime wedges because I love lime and Steve doesn't...and this way I can control the amount of lime for each serving. If everyone eating is a lime fan, I would definitely juice two into the soup. Serve with garnishes, and don't leave out the sour cream! That with the lime really makes this dish. ENJOY!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment