September 14, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

Looking back at some of my old posts, I realize that some of the first recipes that I shared with you were kinda confusing.

Or unnecessarily complicated.

Or both.

Or, some of the recipes didn't include pictures.

So, as I make my favorite meals over and over, I will try to update the recipes and pictures.

If the original recipe is confusing or complicated (as is the case with my original Chicken Enchilada recipe), I will just re-post a whole new recipe.

If I do an update (like add a pic, or make a correction), I will just amend the original post.

Ok?

Ok.

Now that we have that all straightened out...on to the food!

Remember my Spicy Shredded Chicken recipe?

Are you tired of hearing about it yet?

I hope not, because that is what I used for these delicious Chicken Enchiladas.

If you want to, you can substitute any cooked and shredded chicken, pork, or beef.

Just make sure to season it to taste, ok? For me?

But because I made copious amounts of Spicy Shredded Chicken for my fiesta, I had a huge container full in the freezer.

I made 3 pans of enchiladas, and one pot of Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup.

Holy Mexican goodness.

You can leave out veggies or add them to your taste. And if you h ave extra filling - save it! Freeze it! Use it for nachos! It's delicious!


These are pictures from before I baked them. Unfortunately by the time they came out of the oven it was dark out, and Steve and I devoured them. So this is the best I can do for the assembled product.

And as a side note: These freeze well. Assembled a pan of enchiladas, wrap it in plastic wrap (un-baked), then aluminum foil, and put it in the freezer. Don't forget to remove the plastic wrap before you put it in the oven though!

Chicken Enchiladas (makes about 3 8-inch square pans, each pan feeds about 4 people)

  • 1 lb Spicy Shredded Chicken (or any other cooked and shredded chicken, pork or beef)
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 (7 oz) can of diced green chiles
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, or to taste
  • 12 large flour tortillas (you can sub smaller ones or corn tortillas is you desire)
  • 4 (12 oz) cans of enchilada sauce (I used 2 hot and 2 mild)
  • 2 cups of your favorite salsa
  • 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
  • sour cream, for garnish (optional)
  • black olives, for garnish (optional)
  • lettuce, for garnish (optional)
Combine meat, beans, tomatoes, chopped bell pepper, chopped onion, and green chiles in a large pan over medium heat. Add lime juice, and if necessary add taco seasoning to taste. Stir until heated through.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all four cans of enchilada sauce and salsa in a large bowl.

Cover the bottom of 3 8x8 baking dishes with one cup of sauce mixture (each).

Spoon mixture into tortillas and roll, placing them seam-side down in the baking dish. One 8x8 dish held 4 filled tortillas of the size I used. Repeat until all dishes are filled.

Top each pan with one cup of enchilada sauce; finish each pan with one cup of shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and bubbly, and enchiladas are heated through.

Top with sour cream, black olives and lettuce.

Enjoy!!!

Printable Recipe

    No comments:

    Post a Comment