August 17, 2010

Pulled Pork and Creamy Coleslaw Sandwiches

Does anyone ever actually make any of my recipes?

I just wonder because I rarely get any feedback on them...and right now according to Google Analytics (thanks Tara!), I am averaging around 400 visits per month (On my silly little site! Can you believe it?! So proud!). I realize that there are a handful of people that visit several times per month, but people usually only post comments or send emails when it is something about my personal life...

Which I love and appreciate very much, by the way. I was just wondering, you know - if anyone tries the recipes...and if so, do you like them?

You know what they say about opinions...

...feel free to shout out yours! It can even be negative feedback, as long as it is respectful. Or perhaps any suggestions?

But even if no one else on earth makes one of my recipes, I will continue to post them. Mostly because it makes me happy. And hungry. And this is a great way to keep all of my favorite recipes on file! And I not only have the recipe, but I have my thoughts on the recipe, as well as (sometimes) some pictures.

Which brings us to today's recipe...

I know I have posted a Pulled BBQ Pork recipe here before, but I have since tweaked it (surprise!) and made it my own, so I wanted to give it another post. Plus I actually took some pictures. And I found a coleslaw recipe that both Steve and I really like (and we are picky coleslaw eaters!).

Oh yum. Juicy pulled pork with coleslaw and sliced dill pickles. This is a great recipe for a crowd because it makes a lot of pork, and it is easy because you cook it in the crockpot! It is also kid friendly (if you lay off the cayenne pepper).
 

Here is the pulled pork recipe first, then the coleslaw recipe...Enjoy!!!

Pulled BBQ Pork (serves 16 - 20)
  • 5 lb pork butt (pork shoulder)*
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 5 tablespoons Worcestershire
  • 5 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 - 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
 Throw chopped onion in the bottom of a large crock pot, lay pork on top. Whisk together remaining ingredients. Taste. Does it need more vinegar? More cayenne pepper? More salt? Adjust seasonings to taste, then pour 2/3 of the bbq sauce over pork in crock. Cook on low heat for 8 - 10 hours or until pork shreds easily with a fork. Once pork is shredded (keeping it in the crockpot), you can add remaining sauce, if necessary. I like my pork to be saucy...if you don't, you can pass remaining sauce with pork when you serve it. Just make sure that pulled pork stays moist. Serve on a bun with sliced dill pickles and coleslaw (recipe below). PS - this is a great bbq sauce recipe for bbq chicken or ribs too!
* If you use a leaner cut of meat, you may need extra sauce.

Printable Recipe



Creamy Coleslaw (serves 8 - 10 on sandwiches and can easily be doubled)
  • 1 14 oz bag of coleslaw mix (yes, you can certainly shred your cabbage and carrots at home if you want to)
  • 1/2 cup of mayo
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 2 - 4 tablespoons of sugar (3 is just about perfect for me, but start with 2 and add to your liking)
  • 2 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • fresh cracked pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, cover and chill for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve on top of pulled bbq pork (or chicken). Don't forget the pickle slices!

Printable Recipe

7 comments:

  1. ive done a couple. this one looks interesting.
    i would buy the pulled pork though. also colesaw
    on hamburgers and hot dogs is an interesting
    variation for toppings but creamy coleslaw works
    better.
    i made some taco sloppy joes for a party tonite.
    very yummy if you want to try something for the kids
    your faithful droogie

    ReplyDelete
  2. JOEY!!! Don't buy the pulled pork! At the very least, dump a bottle or two of your favorite bbq sauce over a pork roast and cook it in the crock pot! :)
    Yes, please email me the recipe for the taco sloppy joes - any kid friendly recipes are always welcome! :) Thanks Joey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make anything. I only eat chips and top-the-tater. Friggin thanks alot. I am now the proud owner of a no pack of flabby abs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make your recipes and they are delicious and nutritious. There is a 7lb pork butt in the fridg right now that is going to get the rubb down tonight and thrown into the crock pot tomorrow. I have a different recipe for pork butt though that I will email you. Good hungry minds think alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eli - you are going to get a spanking. I know that you make my bloody mary and bloody beer recipes...so even though my food might not inspire you, my drinking does! LOL.
    Thanks Lana, you are the sweetest! Yes, please email me your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. found you through tasty kitchen, this coleslaw is the bomb! thx for the great recipe.
    teinika

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is our family's go-to coleslaw recipe. The perfect mix of creamy and tangy! I found the recipe thru tasty kitchen and have made it SO many times. This is the first time that I've followed the TK link back to this original post (needed the link to add to my list of favorite recipes on my blog) and figured I'd drop a line to let you know how much I love your slaw! :)

    ReplyDelete