May 25, 2010

Grilled Tuna Steaks and PW's Asian Noodle Salad

YUM.

I love tuna steaks. Marinaded, seared, big, fat, juicy, tuna steaks. Last night, I put the steaks in an Asian style marinade because I thought it would go well with this:

This photo is off of her website, because once again I am a photo slacker and neglected to take pictures.

If you haven't tried it yet, you probably should. It is one of the only recipes on her blog that doesn't include butter. Or heavy cream. Or both. Bless her heart. I changed it up by adding less olive oil and no cilantro to the dressing. I did add lots of cilantro to the salad itself, as well as cutting the recipe about in half (it makes LOTS). This is so delicious and colorful and summery, it is the perfect compliment to a hearty tuna steak.

For the tuna steaks, I marinaded them in the following marinade for about 3 hours, which was a little long...the meat was starting the get a little mealy. But the flavors were fantastic! I would recommend no longer than 1.5 hours. And you could use whatever marinade you wanted to (or just some olive oil and salt and pepper).

Grilled Tuna Steaks with Asian Style Marinade:

  • 2 tuna steaks (the fresher the better)
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • Juice of one lime
  • 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons of minced fresh ginger
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dijon mustard (optional)
  • crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (you could also use an Asian chili sauce like Sriracha)
Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl and pour over tuna steaks. Marinade for 30 minutes to an hour, turning occasionally. 

Preheat grill to 400 degrees. Sear marinaded tuna steaks on each side for 2 - 3 minutes, depending on desired doneness. I like my tuna steaks pretty rare, because I think the more well done tuna is, the more fishy tasting it gets. Enjoy!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment