May 4, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie


Yummy in my tummy! Last week (actually, a week from last Sunday), I made homemade chicken pot pies. I roasted a couple of chickens a day or two before, and needed to use up the meat and some of the vegetables I had in my fridge. Mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm good! Chicken pot pie isn't as difficult as you might think, especially if you are a giant cheater (like me) and you use puff pastry instead of homemade pie crust! Hee hee hee.


I adapted my recipe from Ina Garten's recipe, and I made quite a few changes so I am just going to save you the trouble and post my version instead of posting hers with my changes. Here are some pics (the recipe is at the end):













Chicken Pot Pie 
  • 2 - 3 cups of cooked, chopped chicken. You could use rotisserie, bonless skinless breasts, or boil a whole chicken (if you do this, do me a favor and make chicken stock at the same time)
  • 1 - 2 cups of chopped carrots (I like lots of veggies)
  • 1 - 2 cups of chopped celery
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 raw potato, washed, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup of peas (I used frozen)
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons of flour
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons of butter
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 cup of milk or 1/2 and 1/2
  • 2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
  • thyme and whatever herbs/spices you want
  • salt and pepper
  • 5 cups of chicken stock (preferably homemade), heated
  • chicken bouillon (1 - 3 cubes)
  • one egg, beaten and mixed with a tablespoon of water for egg wash
Saute the onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes and celery in the olive oil until tender. Add butter, whisk in flour and make a roux. Add chicken stock, herbs, cooked chicken, milk and peas. Once heated through, check seasonings and adjust accordingly (add bouillon, salt, pepper and herbs as necessary). The filing should be about the same consistency as gravy. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Roll out puff pastry and cut to desired size (sometimes I use individual dishes, but this time I just used one 9x13 baking dish, one puff pastry sheet and froze the remaining filling a pastry sheet for future use). Spoon filling into dishes, brush edges with egg wash, place puff pastry on top and pinch edges to seal. Brush the top of pastry with egg wash (if desired, sprinkle sea salt and cracked pepper on top), cut three slits in the pastry and place on a baking sheet to catch drips. Bake for 30 minutes to one hour (depending on size of pot pie) or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Enjoy!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment