April 27, 2010

Easy Cheese Sauce

Mmmmmmmmm - cheese sauce. My mom used to make it to pour over steamed broccoli and cauliflower when I was a kid...and I'm sure parents everywhere have been using this approach to trick kids into eating vegetables for centuries. I was intimidated by the cheese sauce for a long time (that and gravy)...but once I finally just did it, I realized that it was actually really easy (that and gravy!).

You basically make a roux...and stir in your favorite cheese! The end. Seriously - that is all. You don't know how to make a roux? Ok, I'll tell you. Here are more specific instructions:

Easy Cheese Sauce

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup of milk
1 cup of cheese, grated. I used half medium cheddar and half sharp white cheddar.
Salt and pepper

Make a roux by melting the butter over medium/medium-high heat in a saucepan and then stirring in the flour. It will be really thick, so start whisking in the milk (I used skim because that's how I roll...it would be richer and creamier...and more fattening...if you used half and half instead). Once the milk is added and heated through, stir in the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Resist the urge to drink it straight out of the pan.

PS - You can always add more than a cup of cheese. If it gets too thick, add more milk!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment