January 24, 2011

New Adventure and New Scenic Cafe

Happy Monday!

I hope that everyone had an excellent weekend.

I wanted to share some news with you this morning.

I accepted a new job last week!

I will be working full time in my field again, with a new company.

Let's visit the positives and negatives about my decision.

Positive: I will be doing what I went to school for, which helps me to justify the 60 billion dollars I have in student loans.

Positive: I will be (hopefully) expanding my skill set and knowledge base, and doing more challenging work.

Negative: I will be going from wearing jeans to work, to wearing business professional attire...aka: business suit.

Positive: I will be making more money, along with having more comprehensive benefits.

Negative: It isn't enough money for me to retire at age 30, hire a housekeeper, or travel the world. Boo.

Negative: I will be leaving my coworkers, who I love and who have been amazing and supportive and flexible while I went through my divorce and all of the other bullshit that went with it.

Positive: I am feeling stronger and in a much better place now, and I am very ready for a new adventure!

Wish me luck!!!

To celebrate my new opportunity, Steve and I went to my favorite restaurant.

The Scenic Cafe.

Sigh.

We started with the Taleggio Fondue with homemade croutons:

Excuse the pictures - they were taken on an iPhone.

Delicious!

Then we shared a pistachio-crusted goat cheese salad (can you tell that we like cheese?), but I forgot to take pictures of it.

For my main course, I had the Braised Lamb Shank.

Yummy.

Here is the description from the menu:

braised lamb shank
gnocchi béchamel roasted tomato olive oil
capers feta basil


Steve had the Grilled Quail.

The menu description says:


grilled quail
soft polenta wild rice mascarpone cheese
duck liver sherry cream sauce marsala crimini
quail egg peas morels


Steve didn't love his quail...he thought it was a little oily and even a little gamey. He also said the wild rice wasn't cooked. Major bummer. 

Steve and I agreed that the best part about The Scenic is their starters. The fondue, the artichoke slather, sashimi tuna tacos, the curried blue mussels - they are all to die for.

The last couple of times that we have went, our entrees have been good, but not quite the level of fantastic-ness that we have come to expect from The Scenic.  

But never-the-less, we had a great time and enjoyed the atmosphere, the wonderful service and each other. If you are ever in Duluth or up the North Shore, it is definitely worth stopping in.

Disclaimer: The Scenic didn't pay me to review them or to write anything about them (nor have they ever). The opinions expressed are mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment